The Estevan Public Library began on February 12, 1908 at a meeting of citizens which included N.J. Lockhart, Dr. Davies, J.H. McKechnie, C.H. Powell, Chas. Hastings, O.M. Akers, and D.C. Dunbar. Mr. Davies was selected to be president, and C.H. Powell secretary.
The Library had been housed in various locations. Dr. and Mrs. Scott leased space for the library for $5 per month for six months. This first location was in a building facing 12th Avenue not far north of the Fourth Street corner. In 1997 this location was occupied by the Bank of Montreal and its parking lot. By 1910 the Library Board was asking Council for space in the Town Hall.
In 1913 the Christian Women's Temperance Union submitted a petition to Town Council. Council responded by providing space in the Town Hall. The Library remained in the Town Hall until 1957, when it was moved to the building next door, a location occupied in 1967 by the Chamber of Commerce.
In 1957 the Beth-Jacob Synagogue at 1037 2nd Street was sold to the City on the condition that it be used as a public building. In 1961 the Library moved into the former synagogue. By 1983 Albert Bowron, library consultant, was engaged to make recommendations for larger quarters. Mr. Bowron's ideas were incorporated into the library portion of the ambitious Souris Valley Aquatic and Leisure Centre at 701 Souris Avenue, which was opened in 1992.
In 1966 Estevan Public Library became a branch of the newly-formed Southeast Regional Library which is headquartered in Weyburn. In 1992 the Regional Library and Estevan Branch began automation of services.
**A list of librarians and board members can be found in
"A Tale That is Told', pages 228-230, and in Andrew King's 'Estevan: The Power Centre. A short history and graphic image of the old synagogue are found in 'A Walk Through Time: Historical Walking Tours of Estevan'.